- Home Made Simple All Purpose Cleaner Natural Household Surface Cleaning Spray, Rosemary Scent, 54 Fluid Ounce $11.99
- Letsfit White Noise Machine with Night Light for Sleeping, Sound Machine with 14 Soothing Soundtracks, Adjustable Night-Light Sleep Machine for Nursery, Office Privacy & Household $23.99
- Chilly Mama Baking Soda Fridge and Freezer Odor Absorber & Freshener, Cool Mama Refrigerator Deodorizer Freezer Odor Eliminator Fridge Deodorizing Cleaner Household Kitchen Gadget Tools $8.99
- [10-Pack] Glass Food Storage Containers with Lids, Airtight, BPA Free, Meal Prep Containers for Kitchen, Home Use $29.99
- Shur-Line 06100 Gallon Can Paint Pourer $5.22
With over 85 recipes, best-selling cookbook The Mexican Home Kitchen compiles the traditional home-style dishes enjoyed every day in Mexican households, with influences from states like Tamaulipas, Nuevo León, Veracruz, Puebla, Estado de México, and Yucatán.
Illustrated with stunning photography, this book includes recipes for stews, soups, and side dishes, along with famous dishes like mole, enchiladas, picadillo, and milanesa, and is rounded out with delicious salsas, drinks, and desserts.
For Mely Martínez, Mexican cooking has always been about family, community, and tradition. Born and raised in Tampico, Mely started helping in the kitchen at a very young age, since she was the oldest daughter of eight children, and spent summers at her grandmother’s farm in the state of Veracruz, where part of the daily activities included helping grind the corn to make masa.
Mely started her popular blog, Mexico in My Kitchen, to share the recipes and memories of her home so that her son can someday recreate and share these dishes with his own family. In the meantime, it has become the go-to source for those looking for authentic home-style Mexican cooking.
Recreate these favorite comfort foods using inexpensive, easy-to-find ingredients:
- Caldo de Pollo (Mexican chicken soup)
- Tacos de Bistec (steak tacos)
- Carnitas (tender, crispy pork)
- Albondigas (Mexican meatballs)
- Tamales (both savory and sweet)
- Enchiladas (both red and green sauces)
- Mole Poblano (one of the most classic and popular moles)
- Nopales (recipes made with cactus paddles)
- Empanadas (beef and cheese filled)
- Chiles Rellenos (stuffed and fried poblano peppers)
- Pozole (both red and green versions)
- Camarones en Chipotle (deviled shrimp)
- Salsa Taquera (salsa for tacos)
- Pastel de Tres Leches (a luscious and moist cake that’s a Mexican favorite)
- Buñuelos (crispy dough fritters coated in sugar)
- Aguas Frescas (horchata, hibiscus, and tamarind flavors)
- and much more!
Complete with easy-to-follow instructions, beautiful images, and stories from Mexico, along with recipes for making corn and flour tortillas and tips for stocking your pantry, The Mexican Home Kitchen will have you enjoying this delicious cooking right in your own home.
From the Publisher
In The Mexican Home Kitchen, you will find homestyle meals that are cooked in everyday life in Mexico, dishes that people are making today in their kitchens for their families. These range from comforting foods like caldo de pollo and carne con papas, celebratory recipes like mole poblano and pastel de cumpleaños, and classics like tamales and pozole, as well as aguas frescas prepared with in-season fruits. These are all meals that bring back memories for many Mexicans, who, like me, miss our culture. When we cook them, it’s almost as if we take a little trip back home and sit down with our grandma or mom to enjoy a meal that they prepared with lots of love. You will also find recipes for making basics, like corn and flour tortillas, salsas, rice, and beans.
CALDO DE RES (Beef and Vegetable Soup)
This beef and vegetable soup is known in Mexico by many names, including caldo, cocido, and puchero. It is one of the many dishes Mexicans inherited from Spain and adapted to use with their local ingredients. The good thing about this soup is that many variations are possible, from simple to sophisticated. You can make this soup using your favorite selection of herbs, vegetables, and cuts of meat.
POZOLE VERDE DE POLLO (Green Pozole with Chicken)
While the most popular pozole in Mexico is Pozole Rojo (page 38), there are also green and white pozoles. All pozoles are usually made with pork, but green pozole can also be made with chicken, like in this recipe. This recipe is similar in style to the one found in the state of Guerrero and was given to me some years ago by my dear friend Nora. Long before I started blogging, we used to email each other to talk and exchange recipes and photos of our cooking. I’ve made a few changes to the recipe, but I know she would be glad that I included it in this book.
POLLO ENTOMATADO (Chicken in Tomato Sauce)
Pollo entomatado is a simple but flavorful dish. It doesn’t need much in the way of spices or herbs to make it one of the most memorable stews you will ever taste. It is a homey dish, and I love to eat it with bread to soak up all those delicious tomato juices. For this dish, I try to buy the juiciest tomatoes in the market. I like to take advantage of summer tomatoes because they always produce a rich sauce.
TAMALES DE POLLO EN SALSA VERDE (Chicken in Green Salsa Tamales)
These tamales are among the most popular tamales in Mexico, particularly in the center of the country. They are also one of the most commonly known tamales in the United States, along with Tamales de Puerco (page 113). The word tamal comes from the Nahuatl word tamalli, meaning “wrapped.” Tamales are steamed in a leaf wrapper, usually a corn husk or a banana leaf, but other wrappers include avocado leaves, hoja santa, and other nontoxic leaves found in Mexico.
BUDÍN DE PAN (Bread Pudding)
Budín de pan can be found in almost every bakery in Mexico. Bakers make this using bread that went unsold the day before. Some bakers add extra ingredients to enhance the pudding, like shredded coconut, candied figs, and chopped pecans, in addition to the popular use of raisins. This pudding can be made with leftover toast, a sweet roll that has become stale, a piece of French bread, and so on (see Notas). I like to collect all the bits and pieces of leftover bread and store them in the freezer in a gallon-size (3.8 L) freezer bag. When it’s full, it means it’s time to make this dish. Enjoy this bread pudding with a cup of coffee.
GELATINA DE MOSAICO (Mosaic Gelatin)
Mexicans love gelatins of all shapes and sizes. You can find colorful gelatins sold at markets, state fairs, central plazas, and food carts. They can be prepared using a water or milk base, and can have a single flavor or multiple ones. Some people make them with intricate designs, ranging from flowers and hearts to butterflies. This is a colorful gelatin that is perfectly at home at a child’s birthday party, and is loved by kids and adults alike.
AGUA DE HORCHATA (Horchata)
A sweet and refreshing drink, horchata is often served during lunch or dinner, or enjoyed by itself throughout the day, especially during the hot summer season. Its fresh, creamy flavor makes it an excellent beverage to have on hand when you find yourself eating a dish that is spicy. Horchata is the most prevalent of the aguas frescas in Mexico. It is usually made with rice, cinnamon, and vanilla extract, but in the south of the country, you can also find it made with almond or coconut. Some people like to add milk in the preparation of this drink, like me, while others prefer it without.
PONCHE NAVIDEÑO (Mexican Christmas Punch)
Ponche Navideño is a traditional hot drink made in Mexico during the holidays. It is prepared with water and a variety of fresh and dried fruits. Other ingredients include sugar cane sticks, cinnamon, piloncillo, and sometimes hibiscus. While a few people might add aromatics, like anise seeds and chamomile flowers, many adults prefer to add a splash of spirits, such as rum, brandy, or aguardiente. I love the aroma of the simmering fruits and spices coming out of the kitchen when I make this drink. Delicious and warming, this fruit punch is the perfect way to bring the flavors of Christmas into your home.
Stainless Steel Knife Set with Block – 13 Kitchen Knives Set Chef Knife Set with Knife Sharpener, 6 Steak Knives, Bonus Peeler Scissors Cheese Pizza Knife and Acrylic Stand by Home Hero$70.99Add to cart
You’re One Step Away From Improving Your Kitchen! _____________________ Tired of constantly replacing and supplying your kitchen with new overpriced knives? Meet your new favorite solution! Our ultimate Knife Set was designed for all of our customers who don’t want to settle for low quality with high prices. The set including 13 professional knives, kitchen …
HOMWE Kitchen Cutting Board (3-Piece Set) | Juice Grooves w/Easy-Grip Handles | BPA-Free, Non-Porous, Dishwasher Safe | Multiple Sizes (Set of Three, Black)$25.49Add to cart
- Precision Cutting Surface – Crafted with a thick, heavy-duty plastic, our BPA-free cutting boards provide a clean food prep surface for every meal.
- Multiple Prep Board Pack – Each order comes with three distinct cutting board sizes, including small, medium and large; perfect for multi-course meals or all-day use.
- Juice Grooves & Handles – These reversible cutting boards feature juice grooves to catch sticky or acidic drippings and non-slip handles to protect you and surfaces.
- Safe, Durable & Easy to Clean – A non-porous, ultra-strong cutting surface is gentle on cutlery and knives and can be put in the dishwasher for quick, easy cleanup.
- Chop, Scrape & Dice – Tough enough to withstand heavy chopping, slicing, dicing and sharp knives, our surface won’t retain stains or odors for long-term use.
Sponge Holder-Sponge Holder for Kitchen Sink-Sponge Holder for Sink-Modern Farmhouse White Sponge Holder Ceramic for Sink Sponge-Kitchen Sponge Holder-Sink Sponge Holder Caddy by Home Acre Designs
$17.99Add to cart
Product Description FARMHOUSE WARMTH AND CHARM White and black ceramic sponge holder CERAMIC SPONGE HOLDER High quality porcelain Durable and long lasting finish Easy to wipe clean Won’t rust Keep your sponge clean, tidy, and dry PERFECT SIZE 3″L x 3″W x 3.5″H 1.25″ wide sponge opening Ideal size for sponge, scrubby, or silicone …
Sponge Holder-Sponge Holder for Kitchen Sink-Sponge Holder for Sink-Modern Farmhouse White Sponge Holder Ceramic for Sink Sponge-Kitchen Sponge Holder-Sink Sponge Holder Caddy by Home Acre DesignsRead More
Silicone Oven Mitts and Potholders (4-Piece Set) Heavy Duty Cooking Gloves, Kitchen Counter Safe Trivet Mats | Advanced Heat Resistance, Non-Slip Textured Grip (Royal Blue)$20.99Add to cart
- Complete Kitchen Cooking Set – This unique accessory set comes with two insulated silicone oven mitts and two silicone potholer trivets measure 7″ x 7″ for better kitchen and grill use.
- Heat-Resistant Silicone – Each piece is crafted with flexible, durable silicone, making them ideal for moving or holding hot pans, plates, utensils or dishware.
- Textured, Non-Slip Grip – Gloves and the trivet both feature textured surfaces to improve your grip strength, control and stability over hot, heavy, or slick items.
- Indoor & Outdoor Versatility – Designed to better protect hands from burns and countertops from scalds, this oven mitt and potholder set is great for all your meals.
- Heavy-Duty Durability – These gloves and potholders are not only heat resistant, they’re comfortable, flexible, and offer long-lasting, food-grade safe versatility.